What is Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
This is a procedure used to treat anyone whose hormone levels drop or become unbalanced. It is often used to ease symptoms of menopause and it also improves symptoms of cancer.
Firstly, what are hormones?
Hormones are chemicals that are made by your endocrine glands. The glands release hormones into your bloodstream to be carried to the appropriate body part. It’s difficult for you to function properly when your hormones are out of balance. A hormone imbalance can cause weight gain or mood swings that affect your day-to-day life. Hormones control a number of bodily functions like: Metabolism, Reproduction, Growth, Sexual function etc.
What are Bio-identical hormones?
These are man-made hormones derived from plant estrogens that are chemically identical to those that the human body produces.
Estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are among those most commonly replicated and used in the treatment.
Who needs Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
- People who are succumbing to adverse effects old age
- People struggling with life changes like perimenopause & menopause
- People suffering from cancer
Benefits of Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Curbs weight gain & mood swings
- Reduces vaginal dryness
- Reduces hot flashes & night sweats
- Curbs erectile dysfunction and Manopause (acute decline in testosterone in men)
- Improves energy levels & memory
- Improves quality of sleep & interest in sex
- Improve symptoms of cancer
- Treats insulin resistance
- Treats adrenal and thyroid disorders
- Treats osteoporosis & fibromyalgia
- Breast tenderness
- Weight gain
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is BHRT?
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy is a form of hormone therapy that uses hormones that are structurally similar to those found within the human body.
2. How effective are Bioidentical Hormones?
Bioidentical hormones work with the body’s chemistry because they closely replicate the molecular structure of the hormones that normally occur within the body.
3. Will I need blood tests before Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Yes. We calculate the dosing of your bioidential hormone mixture based on your unique hormone levels. To be truly bioidentical, we want to check your levels to make sure they are in balance. Your insurance will typically pay for blood testing.
4. Is Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy safe for everyone?
No. Certain people should not undergo hormone replacement therapy. You are not considered for bioidentical therapy if you have a personal history of breast cancer or stroke, or if you have a blood clot.
5. How often do I have to do BHRT?
In the beginning of your Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy, you will need frequent testing to check that each hormone component is in proper balance. Once you are feeling well and tests show a proper balance, your visits can be less often – usually only once a year.
6. How quickly does it work and when will I start to feel better?
You will see improvement within the first 2 to 3 weeks of therapy, but it will take up to 8 weeks to feel the full effect. We strive to achieve balance with the lowest dose of each hormone.
· Treats insulin resistance
· Treats adrenal and thyroid disorders
· Treats osteoporosis & fibromyalgia
Breast tenderness, bloating, and weight gain are the most reported side effects of Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy.